Swine flu is a respiratory disease that is caused by influenza type a virus. This type of virus mainly affects the pigs but, sometimes, can occur in people having close contact with pigs. Swine flu is contagious and can spread from one to another through coughing and sneezing. It can affect people of all ages and can cause sore throat, chills, fever, body aches, headaches, etc.
Symptoms of Swine Flu
The symptoms of swine flu are very similar to the common flu that occurs in humans. The symptoms are mostly fever, cold, cough, runny nose, body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, headache etc. In swine flu the symptoms might be more severe like breathlessness, very high grade fever, loss of appetite and fluid intake, listlessness etc. The important fact is to prevent the spread of this infection. Since it spreads through fomites i.e. through air, infected articles like tissue, paper, pen etc, the preventive measures are very important.
Swine Flu Causes
Like Avian Flu (commonly known as bird flu), which was a common threat to the whole world back in 2003, swine-origin H1N1 is also an influenza virus first found in animals and then mutated to a strain that is transmittable among human beings. The flu can be transmitted by an infected person even within the incubation period. People get the contagious disease by inhaling respiratory droplets from an infected individual or touching their nose or mouth after coming in contact with contaminated surfaces.
Swine Flu Prevention
The World Health Organization (WHO) has shown concrete facts that prove that swine flu causes death if left untreated. It is therefore a necessity to observe the enumerated advices to prevent from acquiring said deadly disease:
1. People whose jobs require physical contact with pigs must wear face mask in tending the suspected swine flu infected animal. Wearing gloves is likewise highly recommended.
2. Avoid having physical contact such as hugging, kissing, and touching.
3. Do not cough and sneeze in public.
4. Wash hands regularly with soap and water.
Home Remedies for Swine Flu
1. Wash Your Hands: It is thought that pig flu virus can get into the inside of your body through the mouth and nose. Regular wash of your hands, especially before a meal, with soap and Luke warm water can prevent this.
Alternately, you can also wear hand gloves before touching anything directly so as not to get infected.
2. Cover Your Nose and Mouth: If a big shot is sneezing or coughing near you, you may want to cover your nose and mouth with the inside of your palms or with your hanky.
Alternately, you can wear face mask previous to going outside. These can prevent the virus to get entry into your system.
3. Drink Lemon Balm Tea: Experts consider that the anti-viral possessions of lemon balm can treat swine flu. You can drink lemon balm tea twice every day.
4. Chew Fresh Garlic Cloves: Garlic is careful an effective antiviral. Fresh garlic cloves (2-3) can be chewed once daily.