Getting pregnant should be the happiest time of a woman's life. That moment when you look at the pregnancy tester and see a positive result you know that life is never going to be the same a gain. You are going to have a baby of your own. You cannot wait to tell your family and friends knowing how thrilled they will be to hear the news they have been waiting for.
It is always a big deal when a couple gets pregnant as it seems to bring out the best in people as they congratulate you on your coming event. So what happens when you have a miscarriage. The elation you were feeling suddenly turns to despair as you realize you have lost your baby. Other people try to comfort you but the feeling of loss can be heartbreaking.
Having a miscarriage can be very hard on a couple as they try to understand what happened. Some take it very hard and can get very depressed. The best way to help a couple in this position is to let them grieve and work through the process. If a woman has a miscarriage there is still every chance she could get pregnant again and carry a baby to full term.
It is when a woman has had several miscarriages that tests are taken to determine the cause.
One of the most common causes is PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is a hormone disorder characterized by enlarged ovaries, containing many small cysts. Even though the cause of PCOS is still somewhat of a mystery there are natural ways you can help manage it. The hormones in a woman's body are responsible for the normal function of her reproductive system so to determine if a woman has a hormonal imbalance a blood test is taken. Symptoms of PCOS are infertility, weight gain, acne and hairloss.
Once the diagnosis is complete then an all-natural treatment can start.
1. A low GI diet is recommended, as many women with PCOS are insulin resistant. This diet would comprise of proteins such as inorganic meats, vegetables, unrefined carbohydrates and fruit with low natural sugar such as melons and mangos. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) should be eaten as often as you can but limit your intake of wholegrains. What you eat has a profound effect on your hormones.
2. A hair mineral tissue analysis (HTMA) will test for trace minerals and toxic substances in your bodies' tissue. You can purchase a hair analysis kit online and do the first part yourself. It is then sent to a laboratory for testing. Once you have the results you will be able to assess what supplements you need to take and what foods you may have to cut out. An example would be if the test comes back with a high mercury reading you will know to cut out tuna fish from your diet. If you are exposed to heavy metals and pollution this can effect your fertility also.
3. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine can make you infertile so it is essential you quit these dangerous habits.
4. At this point you may want to detox with a herbal cleanser in order to rid your body of any harmful chemicals and toxins. There are teas such as nettle and raspberry that can also be used.
5. Exercise is an essential key to the management of PCOS as it can help normalize hormones. As people who are resistant to insulin have problems ovulating an exercise regime along with the correct diet will reduce weight and insulin resistance. Many studies have been done that prove this too be true.
6. Acupuncture, which is an ancient traditional form of Chinese medicine, believes Qi is an energy that flows through the body keeping a balance of good health. If Qi is blocked then pain and illness will result. By inserting fine needles into certain pressure points of the body Qi can be directed to areas where there is a deficiency and steered away from organs in the body where there is an abundance of it. This a painless and highly effective treatment which helps women with PCOS to ovulate.
7. . Herbal medicines are far gentler on a woman's system than synthetic drugs administered by conventional fertility doctors.
8. Herbs that are being used to help women with PCOS are evening primrose oil, chasteberry also known as vitex, dong quai, (Chinese herb) black cohesh and saw palmetto. Always consult a herbalist who can advise you what is best for your situation. The beauty of herbs is that they can be used longer than the drugs used in modern medicine and generally have no side effects.
Many women who have followed this regime have reported having a lot more energy, some weight loss and becoming pregnant with their first baby.
Copyright (c) 2010 Linda Cole